Thursday 13 March 2014

Panic Attack - A Life Changer

It was the summer of 1983. I was 21 years old, healthy as a horse, had a good job, and a wonderful family. Life was good! While at work one day, I was watching over what we called "the jaw". It was the large rock crusher where all the material was fed into a rock crushing plant.
I was looking over the plant from the control shack when all of the sudden everything started to spin. This lasted only for a second, which then I found myself gasping for air. I began to panic, slid down the steps to the ground and fell to my hands and knees. At this time I could hear my co-workers running at me yelling "what's wrong"? I had no clue. All I knew is I couldn't breath. Little did I know, I was experiencing something that was going to change the rest of my life, and was something that doctors knew little about.
From that day it appeared as though each day was worsening. I was in a cloud, unhappy, uncomfortable with my surroundings, and scared to death. I noticed my neck muscles tightening, my shoulders raised, and the only comfort I could seem to find was lying on my back in bed. My muscles were continuously tight. I just couldn't relax. After several days with no relief I made an appointment with my doctor. He began a series of nerve tests, along with x-rays and other tests, always with the same outcome... nothing found. This was very discouraging!
That fall we received a phone call from my aunt in Missouri. She was just calling to see how things were going. When I told her what was happening, I can remember her saying "honey, you're having panic attacks". I said "I'm having what"? She began to tell me that many of our family members have them, including her. She also explained how her son, my cousin, was having a severe case of them. I remember vividly, the relief that came over me when she said there's nothing to worry about, you are just going to have to learn how to deal with them. The relief was from knowing that I wasn't dying. This put me in the fight to figure out how to control them. And believe me... it's a fight!
That thanksgiving me and my family drove to southern California to spend Thanksgiving with my father's side of the family. The day after we arrived my wife and I decided to go to breakfast at a restaurant a few miles from the house. The place was packed, and I felt my muscles tensing as we sat down. We ordered and I told my wife that I was feeling nervous and closterfobic. I started chewing my nails and it felt like every person in there was staring at me. I knew I wasn't going to make it through this. As soon as the waitress brought our food, I took one bite and my throat felt like it was swelling shut, and I couldn't swallow. I panicked and stormed out of there like the building was on fire. My wife brought out two to-go boxes and found me waiting in the car.
I spent most of our trip in bed only to get up for a few minutes and walk around every couple hours or so. I was miserable and wanted my life back. It was then one of my other cousins asked me if I would try some medication that she was taking for anxiety. She said it couldn't hurt and she didn't want me spending Thanksgiving in bed. I was skeptical, though desperate. Thirty minutes later, I had my life back. Or at least I thought. Oh my god, it worked! I was going to be alright. At the time, the thought of taking medication every day never entered my mind. I was just happy to be out of bed and hanging out with my family.
I met with my doctor the day after we returned home. I told him about panic attacks and what I found to help me. He was skeptical and had zero knowledge on the subject. He agreed to prescribe the medication and give it a trial period. Today I am 51 years old and still carry this medication with me everywhere I go. It's not a cure, it's a crutch. As long as I know I have it, I am OK. When I have a panic attack today, I take my medication and within about thirty minutes it is usually under control. Today I only need to take it about once a month. The rest of the time I can pretty much beat it mentally.
I don't have attacks today like I use to. In fact, from the time I reached 30 years old to 48 years old my panic attacks completely subsided. Just within the last couple years have they re-occurred. They are nowhere as severe as when I was a young man. I have learned over the years that medication is not the answer, you are the answer. In looking back over the years at when my panic subsided, I noticed things like where we lived, the family things we did together, and the weather all played a part. I was happy! In other words, when we moved to this state, spent an enormous amount of time with my family camping, hunting, fishing, and sports, and beautiful weather with minimal amounts of rain. I was happy in my life and this was the answer. With this being said, there is one main ingredient I left out. Probably the main ingredient, health! I noticed a big part of my prolonged relief came from when I devoted myself to the gym, lost 25 pounds, and gained muscle back. I felt good and looked good!
With me, I think the reason they are starting to appear again is because I find myself ageing, my kids are out of the house and have their own families now, I want to retire and can't, and the economy took a small toll on us to where we can't enjoy all the things we would like to. I also find it harder to stay motivated and go to the gym. I truly believe if you can make the most of every day, do the things that you really enjoy doing, spend time with your family and friends, exercise with a goal in mind, and don't worry... you can defeat anxiety. It's a mental game and you can be the winner if you play the game right.
My best friend called me one day about fifteen years ago and told me he was dying. I was in shock! When I asked him what was wrong he said they can't find anything. I asked him what was going on and he said it was his heart. He said the pain was in his back and through his chest, and he just knew he was dying. I then asked him "do you have something in your throat also"? He was silent for a second, and curious now. He then said yes, why? I told him that he was having panic attacks. Once I explained to him what they were, and that I was also having them, you could hear the relief in his voice. He went back to his doctor and they started him on some medication. He took it for a while with success, and then realized he didn't need it anymore. Today he carry's it with him, but doesn't take it. Once he knew he wasn't dying, it helped him to battle it. The fear is what you have to beat. Remember that you are not dying, life is good... and just stay busy doing the things that make you happy!
I have recently been going through this now with my daughter. She is 31 years old. She always asks me what I do to get through it. I mostly tell her... do whatever it takes to be happy!! She was in a slump with her life, and just had a poor outlook. She has recently met who she says is the love of her life, moved back to Michigan to be with him, and has not mentioned one panic attack since. She is now happy with her life.
Visit this important site for anxiety to learn how to control panic attacks. http://panic-anxiety.org
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Norman_B_Clark

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8092174

No comments:

Post a Comment